A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 16 May 2018

A Rainbow of Spaniels

Time to remind you to create a card for CAS Watercolour using this month's theme:


Many of you know that I have two English Cocker Spaniels but I bet few of you know that English Cockers come in a wide spectrum of colours, probably more than any other breed - there are over 20 colours allowed under kennel club breed standards.  Breeders often talk about the rainbow of English Cocker colours.  So a stamp that features them seems appropriate for a rainbow challenge.


I stamped on hot press watercolour paper and watercoloured with Gansai Tambi paints.  There were enough Santa hats, gifts, balloon, etc. that I could get all the colours of the rainbow in there.  Then I decided to repeat the rainbow under them to ground them.

I added a sentiment featuring the word "merry" since the English Cocker has historically been referred to as the "merry cocker" due to their happy playful personality.

I added a very thin black border and popped it up on fun foam on a rustic cream cardbase.  I went over the pompoms and brims of the hats with a Quickie glue pen and added glitter.  Here's a close-up:


Please come on over to CAS Watercolour and check out the rest of the inspiration from the Design Team and our Guest Designer, Hannelie of the Desert Diva blog.  You have until May 24th to link up a clean and simple card that uses a rainbow of some sort.







Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black dogs and sentiment
Ink - Ranger Archival Jet Black
Paper - hot press watercolour paper, PTI rustic cream cs, black cs
Size - 6.25x3.25"
Accessories - Gansai Tambi watercolour paints, glitter, fun foam



14 comments:

  1. Such a merry, happy English Cocker Christmas card design, Susan. I love how their rainbow colored hats, etc matched their rainbow grounding. So creative and fun. TFS my friend. Tomorrow a.m. I am on the 1st leg of my trip to BC:-) I am getting soooo Excited:-) See you soon. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a brilliant and innovative way to use rainbows! Talk about creative, Susan! Love the visual effect of the color that are reflected on the ground. This is too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just as cute as a spaniel's ear, Susan! Love the joy on that card and the beautiful rainbow watercolors!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun card, Susan! Love the adorable Spaniels in their rainbow colors and how they are spreading rainbows under their feet! They bring a smile to my face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Susan, what a colourful bunch, I love that rainbow of spaniels :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the cutest doggie images ever ... and it looks AMAZING with the rainbow colours, Susan! LOVE how you've coloured their presents, hats, etc. and then carried the same colours to the ground. PERFECT!!! And great detail adding glitter to the pompoms and hat cuffs! LOVE this card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun card Susan and the colours work well with the sweet dogs, really makes me smile. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww... this is adorable, Susan. Fabulous fun image and beautiful watercolouring. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an absolutely delightful card Susan...totally makes me smile! We have a cockapoo that is more cocker than poodle, and when we first took him to the vet at 6 weeks, they labeled him as "party colored" because of all the different shades of color he had...totally makes sense after reading your post about them being some of the most colorful dogs out there...love it!! But back to your card...what a perfect image to use the rainbow colors on and you colored it just perfectly...definitely a "merry" card! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great inspiration for your fun and fabulous card. Those cocker spaniels sure now how to have fun x

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a delightful card Susan, love this cute little image and the way you added the colours.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so fun and cute, Susan! I didn't know that English Cockers come in more than any other breed - so this rainbow colors are perfect for them! Love the way you watercolored and the details you added (glittery pom pom and brims of the hats)! Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just had to stop here for a moment. This card tickles me so much! Love my two Goldens as much as life, itself. Your kids, pictured in your sidebar, are beautiful. Such a darling card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a happy pack of doggies. This is so special and fun with all the colours, HAPPY TAILS :D xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.