A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 15 November 2017

Birds with Glittered Santa Hats

Mid-month already so time to remind you to enter CAS Mix Up before November 24th!


Glitter and Christmas cards go hand-in-hand for me so I've gone with another Christmas card:


I stamped the birds on watercolour paper and painted everything except their hats with Gansai Tambi paints.  Then I fussy cut them.

I took another piece of watercolour paper and used Loll's Splash Watercolour technique (see video here) with two colours of Distress inks.  When dry, I die cut the pine branch and glued it to a piece of linen cs.  I stamped the sentiment and then trimmed it.  I popped it up on fun foam on the matching cardbase.

I put double sided tape on the birds' feet and foam tape on their hats and heads, and stuck them down.  I went over the main part of the hats first with my Quickie glue pen and added red glitter.  Then went over the brims and pompoms with Dazzling Diamonds glitter.

I scribbled a bit of glue randomly on the pine branch and added some more Dazzling Diamonds.

Glitter is so hard to photograph so here's a close-up:

 

CAS Mix Up is so much fun!  Just be sure to keep the card clean and simple, include some stamping, some glitter, and at least one other option from the list on the challenge site.  My other options are watercolouring, fussy cutting, splash watercolour, and die cutting.





Supplies:
Stamps - Penny Black birds, Make an Impression sentiment
Ink - Archival Jet Black, Distress Evergreen Bough, Distress Iced Spruce
Paper - white linen cs, watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - Impression Obsession pine branch die, Gansai Tambi watercolour paints, Glitter Ritz red glitter, SU Dazzling Diamonds glitter, Quickie glue pen, foam tape, fun foam



15 comments:

  1. Wow...Thank you for sharing the close ups of your glittery bird hats and pine boughs, Susan. I LOVE how you added red glitter and Dazzling Diamonds glitter the cute birdie hats. So festive and fun. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute and loving all the bling...yes Christmas and glitter are so perfect together x Lovely little scene and such a pretty card x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those birds perched on the shine pine branch are simply gorgeous! Love that glitter Ritz, perfect against the red. A sweet and beautiful festive card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe that you fussy cut those little guys! What a perfect job you did too. Cutting anything with bitty feet and feathers or fur is not easy. Love the way you painted them too- so darned cute and love the glitter on their little hats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These birds are adorable, Susan! I LOVE their glitter hats! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet, Susan! I just bought that stamp set only for these darling plump birdies in their Santa hats, so thank you for the inspiration! Pinning!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your birds are adorable, Susan. LOVE the glittery hats and brims. And your glittery pine bough is the perfect place for them to relax. Great design, my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet, and those hats are great. I also love glitter at Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Santa birds are just the sweetest Susan with their glittery hats and perched on that lovely glittery branch! That's a lot of fussy cutting on those little guys! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is sooooo cute! I love the birds in their sparkly Santa hats! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. so sweet...love the hints of glitter.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. These little birds with their very sparkly santa hats are just toooo cute Susan, love your card. And I loved being GD this month, thank you for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  13. So adorable. Beautiful watercolouring and love the spots of glitter. As I’ve said before, you are so brave to use bright coloured glitter. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How adorable those little birds are, Susan! The red and white glittery hats are so cute (I want one!), and the Dazzling Diamonds on the pine brunch are a nice finishing touch! Hideko

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.