A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 21 November 2017

A Flexible Card

The Jingle Belles Christmas challenge this week is "Thankful for the Holidays" - either an obvious post-Christmas thank you card or one that could be quickly turned into a last minute Christmas card if needed or be saved for after Christmas.  I went with the second option as I never know when I'll run out!


I made the background piece by stamping a text stamp on a piece of tissue paper (after stamping off once), then spraying with various green sprays. I dried it with my heat tool, allowing it to wrinkle. I then glued it to white cs with matte medium. When dry, I applied white gesso with a palette knife on just the raised areas created by the wrinkling.

I trimmed the panel, bordered it with white, and added it to a green card base.

I die cut the tree, the deer, and the word "winter" twice and glued them together for more dimension. I glued them to the background panel, allowing the tree to overhang.

I figure "winter" is generic enough that it could be either a Christmas card or a post-Christmas thank you card.





Supplies:
Stamps - Inkadinkado text stamp
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper - white and green cs, tissue paper
Size - A2
Accessories - varioius green sprays, gesso, Tim Holtz multi matte medium, Impression Obsession tree die, Penny Black deer die



7 comments:

  1. Loving the white gesso along the crease lines, never seen that before on the wrinkled tissue and it looks fabulous. Great vibrant green and such a beautiful card x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inventive and unique technique, Susan and thanks for describing your process! How cool this looks, especially with the use of gesso on the creases. Your white die cuts look wonderful on this beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this rich, green background and the texture of the tissue! The gesso adds beautiful highlights and the white die cuts the perfect contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that wrinkled tissue paper background ... so very glad you joined us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome design Susan. LOVE the idea of using tissue paper with gesso. Gotta try it! :) Beautiful rich greens for your card that contrast beautifully with the white die-cuts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan the colour is stunning and the script background is even prettier in real life. I love the beautiful green background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehehehe... i'm so glad i'm not the only one who hedges her cardmaking bets with the last few holiday cards of the year, lol! this is GORGEOUS, btw, that luscious green background is making me want to get ALL the inks out ASAP! so pleased you could join our JINGLE BELLES fun! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.