A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 2 June 2017

Summer Memories

The year is flying by and it's already time for the June CAS Watercolour Challenge.  This month the theme is "summer".


I lived in Ontario from age 10 to 14, and we used to go to a summer cottage for a couple of weeks each year.  I have such a strong memory of hot days (so hot the sky seemed to go very pale from the heat), some large fir trees near a patch of lawn with Muskoka chairs (what Canadians in Ontario call Adirondack chairs) on it, and me curled up in one of those chairs reading my book in the shade of a tree.  That memory was the inspiration for this card:


I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment and chair, then watercoloured it and the grass and sky areas with my Gansai Tambi paints .  I die cut the tree out of a leftover piece of green smooshed watercolour paper, and went over it with a bit more green and also some brown for the trunk.

The panel is popped up on fun foam with the tree added on top but slightly extending off the panel.

You have until June 24th to bring your summer-inspired watercoloured cards to CAS Watercolour - and please remember to keep them clean and simple!!





Supplies:
Stamps - Local King chair, Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Ink - Recollections Chestnut pigment ink
Paper - white cs, watercolour paper
Size - 5" square
Accessories - Impression Obsession tree die, Gansai Tambi watercolour paints, clear embossing powder, fun foam



7 comments:

  1. What a sweet memory you captured in your serene watercolored creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this takes me back to going to the lake when I was a child, Susan! Some wonderful memories and a beautiful watercolor scene to remind me! Wonderful, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and serene Summer scene, Susan. TFS your wonderful card and your story. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome that you have translated a fond memory into a beautiful card, Susan. Gorgeous card, my friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a beautiful scene, I love the combination of of the woodland and the wonderful chair. I spent a year in Ontario so it really brings back great memories. BTW I'm also really happy to be joining the CAS watercolour team :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely memories for you. Peaceful scene and gorgeous colouring x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a lovely card and great memories, it does remind me of cottage country too.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.