A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 1 February 2017

Corrugated Cardboard for CAS Mx Up

February already!!  And I have the honour of hosting this month's CAS Mix Up challenge.  I love mixed media cards that use some corrugated cardboard on them.  It's a big trickier for CAS Mix Up as we do insist the cards entered truly qualify as clean and simple, with lots of "white space".


Here's my card:


For my corrugated cardboard, I used a couple of Starbucks coffee cup sleeves that I'd saved.  From one of them, I cut the branch die.

I brushed gesso randomly over the other one and, when it was dry, I brushed liquid gold paint randomly over it.  I then die cut the three stars.

I used the splatter stamp from SU Gorgeous Grunge for a background to the branch, stamping it with gold ink.  The sentiment is stamped with brown ink.  I rubbed the brown ink pad over the die cut branch to add a bit more definition.  I hung the stars from the branch with gold cord.

The focal panel is popped up on fun foam.

To meet the criteria of CAS Mix Up, I have stamping, corrugated cardboard, and, for my choice, I have die cuts, gold paint, gesso, and gold cord.

We've got some wonderful inspiration from the Design Team and our Guest Designer, Julie Beech of Handcrafted by Jules.  I'd love to see what you can come up with for the challenge.  You have until February 24th to enter.  Please be sure your entries include stamping, corrugated cardboard, and at least one other choice from the CAS Mix Up list of "your choice options".  And also remember that we are looking for clean and simple cards only.





Supplies:
Stamps - SU Gorgeous Grunge splatter stamp, Verses sentiment
Ink - Delicata Golden Glitz, SU Baked Brown Sugar
Paper - white cs, corrugated coffee cup sleeve
Size - A2
Accessories - gesso, gold paint, small star dies, Tim Holtz branch die, fun foam, gold cord



10 comments:

  1. Great use of the corrugated holders. Fabulous layout and love the sentiment x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AWESOME!! I love that you used coffee sleeves for your branch and stars --- great recycling idea!! The gold painted stars, splatter, and gold embossed sentiment really make this an elegant card, which is something unique when using corrugated cardboard. I'm having so much fun with this challenge Susan ... thanks again for hosting!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, love this card! A great way to use the corrugated coffee sleeves, I love the whole design of this card, it is so elegant looking but it is that sentiment that pulls it all together. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Susan!!! I love your clever and creative way to use your coffee mug sleeve. Adding all your mixed media elements to your branch and stars really make them shine and pop. Love all your Gold effects. Your sentiment is absolutely Perfect for your design. TFS and especially thank you for hosting such a fun challenge this month my friend. Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun challenge Susan! What great texture the corrugated cardboard gives to your branch and stars - wonderful gold splatter stamping and great choice of sentiment for your scene! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful CAS card! Thanks for choosing this theme for the challenge.
    That sentiment is perfect for this stunning mix-media design too!
    Smart girl in recycling that coffee cup sleeve ;) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love your gold stars, Susan, and the wonderful sentiment as well! What a fun challenge! Thanks for hosting it this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great texture, I really need to save my coffee sleeves. awesome card

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of those coffee cup outers and I love the sentiment.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great way to make your tree branch, Susan. I love your sentiment and the card is just fab.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.