A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 6 February 2016

"Paint" Three Ways

Happy Little Stamps February Mixed Media Challenge is "Paint".  A friend was getting rid of a bunch of her supplies and gave me a lovely blue acrylic paint the other day.  Since blue is my favourite colour, I decided to use it for my Design Team contribution to the challenge.


My background was made with a piece of mixed media cardstock roughly painted first with gesso and, when it was dry, with the blue acrylic paint.  I tried stamping some small text in grey but it faded into the blue paint.  

I then took my TCW "Rustic Paint" stencil (as its name seemed totally appropriate for the challenge - it is the third way of using "paint"!) and went over some random sections of it with Dreamweaver embossing paste.

When dry, I watered down a bit of black ink and splattered it with a brush.  Like my attempt to stamp some text on the acrylic paint, it too faded into the blue.  But I'm fine with the subtle splatter.  Because of that fading, I used a rub-on sentiment to avoid having a stamped sentiment fade.

The Happy Little Stampers butterfly is stamped on watercolour paper and then coloured with Inktense watercolour pencils.  It's then die cut with the matching die and slightly curved and stuck on with foam tape under the wing.  I added a few sequins for a bit of sparkle.

I stepped outside of my comfort zone and put the black cardstock layer on an angle to the main panel - it just looked better that way (which is not something I would usually decide!)

Thanks for looking - we'd love to have you join us at Happy Little Stampers!






Supplies:
Stamps - Happy Little Stampers Butterfly Birthday
Ink - Ranger Archival Jet Black
Paper - mixed media cs, watercolour paper, white and black cs
Size - A2
Accessories - HLS butterfly die, "Thanks" rub-on, Dreamweaver embossing paste, TCS Rustic Paint stencil, gesso, blue acrylic paint, Inktense watercolour pencils, foam tape, sequins



8 comments:

  1. Susan, I love the mixed media background for your butterfly.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, you should be in touch with your "rebel" side more often! This is an absolutely brilliant frameable creation!! You should make another one without the "thanks" and do just that with it! Enjoy your day!! Hugs, "Bossy" Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Susan, I LOVE your acrylic painted bg, stencil paint with paste and your angled black. All so beautifully balanced and beautiful backgrounds for your pretty die cut and colored butterfly. TFS my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I love how you used those water color pencils. Ahhhh. So pretty, Susan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the texture of your background. I like the effect of the text background--you can use see it. I wonder why it faded? I think we had a conversation about it on the MM facebook but I don't recall the response. In case, gorgeous card!

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty!! Love your background ... the bright blue really is gorgeous, and love the texture and design from your embossing paste. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome background and I love the colors on your butterfly! The blues, purples and greens are gorgeous together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful card Susan! Love the bold shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.