A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 13 October 2015

Red Birds and White and Gold Words

Today I made cards for two challenges over at Splitcoaststampers.  First up is the Technique Lovers' Challenge "Watercolor Powders".


I used two colours of bister powders, sprinkled them on coated cs, spritzed with water, and allowed to air dry. When dry, I stamped the Berry Branch on it, added the die cut birds and word in red, bordered in the same red and added to a cream cardbase.

It's also for the October SCS Christmas Card Challenge theme of birds on a Christmas card.

Next up is the CAS Challenge "Use Your Words"- use word stamps only, no image stamps. 
 I love my Kay Foley sentiment stamps so it was a good chance to feature one of them. It is stamped and heat embossed in gold on white cs and bordered with gold cs.

The background is faux mother of pearl using a bit of watered down Inka Gold instead of the usual pearl paint. I sponged over it with Distress inks in various reds and warm browns.

Because the sentiment talks about tiny white lights and things decorated with gold sparkly stuff, I sprinkled on some white Frantage ep and some gold UTEE and heated them from underneath. I wanted to tie the sentiment to the background a bit!

Thanks for visiting!





Supplies for the first card:
Stamps: Penny Black Berry Branch
Paper: PTI cream cs, red cs, coated cs
Paper Size: 4.25" square
Ink: Staz-on Black
Accessories: blue and natural bister, Tim Holtz winter die, Memory Box bird dies

Supplies for the second card:
Stamps: Kay Foley sentiment
Paper: white and gold cs
Paper Size: 6"x4.25"
Ink: ColorBox Gold, various Distress inks
Accessories: Inka Gold, Stampendous Frantage white ep, gold UTEE, gold detail ep
Techniques: faux mother of pearl

2 comments:

  1. Love both of these backgrounds, Susan! They are so different from each other! The red birds are so festive and the sentiment a perfect focal piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love those red birds and beautiful background. And the second background is beautiful with the lovely text!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.